It is very misleading to assume that developing e-commerce products is an easy task. In fact, this is a multi-stage algorithm of actions performed, for the work on which the effort of a team of specialized specialists is required. But it all depends on the tasks, and therefore the degree of complexity and requirements for specialists will be very different, as will the costs. So, there are several options for an online store. In fairness, let’s consider each of them so that you can get an understanding of the upcoming work and form a portrait of the developer for yourself:
- Amateur shop. For example, you decided to offer a product that is not in high demand or a service designed for a small audience. In this case, even the option of self-launching the product is suitable for you, by using the available constructors and platforms where programming skills are not required. Cheap, fast, but not effective for a full-fledged business.
- A template adapted to your product. This option requires a specialist in programming skills, understanding the basics of design, SEO promotion. With the right effort, even a template site with a few changes will allow you to attract the attention of a large enough audience, while constantly working on improvements.
- Professional design. This option is the most costly, and it will not be possible to calculate the starting and maximum investments before discussing the work plan with specialists. But it will cost a lot, depending on the capabilities that it can offer users, functionality, usability, adaptability and other factors. Here, just one freelance enthusiast will not be limited.
On the example of web studio projects https://fireart.studio/, you can understand the tangible difference between all three types of product. It’s time to move on to the necessary qualities of a specialist.
What Are the Qualities of an Ideal Ecommerce Job Candidate?
The best candidate for an e-commerce job is someone who loves the Internet and spends a lot of time on it. Working in an industry requires tracking trends and observing what the larger players are doing (active benchmarking). A good professional needs to know the mechanisms that govern social media, such as contacting people colleagues, customers, and suppliers. It is good for him to be independent and be able to plan his actions. Can a person meeting the above criteria expect a stable job in e-commerce? Yes. After all, there are many who want to save money by getting such a universal soldier who is ready to train on your online store for a modest remuneration. But for the customer, the following are obvious disadvantages:
- 1 person is not able to physically know what 10 narrow-profile specialists with experience of working in a team and interaction skills know;
- often the project is not ready for release, which the customer learns about after settling with the contractor;
- there is no personal responsibility (contracts are rarely concluded).
Are you ready to experiment? Well, you can always try your luck, and sometimes the risk is justified and you will get a more or less tolerable quality. But if you really decide to get a product that can later be scaled, then it is better to look for professional ecommerce web development services studios.
Even cooperation with an experienced development team requires some effort from the customer. It is important to think through all the stages of development. Pay special attention to design, since the site is perceived primarily by visual characteristics, then by convenience and properly designed navigation.
Making a website that is web-friendly is a solid foundation for success. If you run an online store, pay attention to:
- Correct display of interactive elements in every online store there are many things that the user can click on to find out something, for example, an image gallery, a link to another product, or a description extension. Don’t forget to highlight in some way the items that the user can click on and that lead to some action.
- Buy button as is the case with the names of subpages, it is better to follow the checked “Add to cart”, “Add to cart” or “Buy now”. Too much creativity will confuse your potential customers.
- Menu it is worth staying at the top menu, it is standard in modern stores. In addition, product pages can display a side menu with additional options to filter search results.
- Breadcrumbs navigation is very important for the user. This allows him to quickly know where he is and also allows him to jump to a previous location, for example, from a product page to a category page.
- The search engine is an indispensable element of any online store. The exception is stores that sell multiple products. Of course, the search engine should be accessible from every subpage. Also, it’s worth noting that larger and more extensive stores will benefit from the advanced search option and the ability to filter search results.
- Categories and subcategories are the basics that you need, even if there are few items in the store. This structure can grow and become more complex over time, but nevertheless it must be transparent to the user. Allegro is a great example of a well-designed store with many categories and subcategories.
Bug Reporting Bugs will rarely appear on a well-designed website, but still cannot be completely resolved. Therefore, it is very important to properly report bugs to the people on your site. First of all, make sure the error is clearly marked and highlighted so that you can see it. Second, explain in simple terms how you can solve this problem. Make a deliberate choice and entrust the work exclusively to professionals.